Friday, December 19, 2008

Eggs-citing

My friend passed on a recipe from Chinese Feasts and Festivals (a Cookbook) since I mentioned in a previous post that I wanted to make my own Salted Preserved Eggs after receiving a pair from my aunt-in-law.

Salted Preserved Eggs
1 cup (300g) coarse sea salt
1 tablespoon peppercorns
6 cups (1 1/2 liters) water
2 tablespoons rice wine
10 duck or chicken eggs, cleaned

1) Combine salt, peppercorns, water, rice wine in a large pot. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly until salt has dissolved (about 5 min). Remove and set aside to cool
2) When cool, pour brine into a clean, non-metallic jar (a glass, ceramic or earthenware jar). Carefully lower the eggs into the brine, making sure the eggs are totally immersed. Cover the jar and leave at room temperature for 30 days.
3) After 30 days, the salted preserved eggs are ready to be used. Remove the eggs from the jar and dry on a rack. Store the dried eggs in a cool, dry place.

After I got the email from my friend, I immediately rushed to make this. It has been almost 2 weeks and the brine (possibly the eggs too) has changed slightly in color. The brine is also cloudy. I'm worried because there is some sediment that has settled to the bottom of the jar. I wonder if it's related to my halving the recipe (wasn't sure if I'd like it, and Dear doesn't like this, so I just made 5). Guess I won't know until another 2 weeks.

1 comment:

Sam said...

wow. i didn't know u made this. how was it?