Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Groceries

OK, so we're probably the only New Yorkers who've never tried FreshDirect before. I have a thing about it being environmentally unsound (every little thing packed neatly in cardboard boxes with lots of packing material to protect it from damage). But with my laziness, I probably would have gone that route long ago if Dear didn't have a thing about touching the food before he buys it. I think he also enjoys food shopping, seeing all the things in person, thinking of the meal possibilities, comparing items. And checking out the weekly ads for each market (Stop N-Shop, Pathmark, Waldbaums, Key Food) is like a sport for him. Like his parents, they spend hours looking at each ad, circling items of interest (even if they have little intention of buying the item). When we were dating, he'd seem distracted on the phone and I'd ask him what he was doing. His response: I'm reading [with the unspoken implication of "I'm really reading the fine print found in the ads"]. And of course, every supermarket ad whore knows that the markets in Manhattan have different items in their circular than the ones in the outer boroughs so somehow or other his father would go to the Pathmark near his workplace to pick one up every week. This obsessive behavior leads his mother to tease his father by calling the ads "his girlfriend" since he spends so much time with these printed materials. Not that she is removed from this obsession. Every Saturday morning used to be this uninterrupted time of "relaxation" where the ads would be passed from one family member to the next. I admit, I too fell victim to this on occasion (it's a great time suck, much like surfing the 'Net) but I usually only look through the ones for stores that I know I will visit and I also prefer the more organized and pretty circulars (such as Target). (Un)fortunately, this activity has slowed a little since our building absconds all the delivered ads before tenants can get to them (they think it looks uncivilized or some snobby thing like that). So Dear has had to resort to viewing the ads online, even though "it's just not the same." I prefer this method better though since he's forced to make a list and I don't have to shuffle through all the pages to remember what to get.

Anyway, this post has totally not turned out the way I thought because I really wanted to find out options for carrying groceries (not a worry for you FreshDirect folks). We recently decided to do the environment a favor by bringing along a few canvas bags with us (plus we have overflowing bags of plastic bags and don't need anymore). I think it works out pretty well except for when we have really heavy stuff (or we forget the bags at home). It is especially a pain to get from the car to the apartment. Things can get really heavy and so we also got an old granny cart (that is one piece of equipment that badly needs a re-design) which helps a lot. Unfortunately, even this so-called heavy-duty cart can't stand up to our burdens and it's on its last wheel, so to speak. We also had this portable folding hand truck that didn't last very long:
So, short of getting delivery or a donkey (not that pets are allowed), do we have any other options? How do you transport your groceries?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, I'm going to leave you a comment on the blog! Sometimes, I think you're writing a biography about me! Hahaha...

We considered using Freshdirect once when we got this coupon but you have to spend at least $40 and we didn't have that much to buy. Plus Freshdirect is little overpriced.

I also like to hand pick my grocery but then again when I'm shopping in Chinatown, I get so aggitated by the rude old ladies who push and poke my back. So I end up hurriedly picking my veggies.

Transporting groceries is hard work for apt. residents! At those times, I envy the people who drive up to their house and carry their groceries in. The easiest has been the "laundry" old lady carts but storage is an issue. So our solution is treat it like a workout. We have perfected carrying four bags in each hand and fumbling for keys as we reach each door. You know what? I'm thinking about it right now and I wonder if maybe a camping backpack would work. You can carry a lot in that! People will think you guys camp a lot!

Anonymous said...

Ditch the granny cart and re-claim literally hours of your weekend and save the backache (not to mention gas to drive to store and circling to find parking which isn't environmentally friendly either) by ordering from Fresh Direct. FD uses boxes made of recycled material, and they're recyclable with the rest of your paper and cardboard. The only other packing material is the occasional styrofoam wrap used to package bananas; otherwise, it's pretty much all recycled cardboard. As for touching and feeling the food, and shopping the weekly circulars as a sport, I totally get it but I'd gladly give up the sport for the convenience. Alternatively, you can just order items such as milk, juice, heavy grocery items, etc from FD, and have Dear hand pick his produce and meats at the local store if he won't give up his need for touch and feel!