Thursday, May 03, 2007

On ironing

An odious household chore (though there are worse ones out there) is ironing. The vast majority of my clothes don't need ironing (especially now that I'm working in a casual environment) but shoo-wee, almost all of Dear's work clothes need ironing. Despite my pleas for him to get wrinkle-free shirts, his closet of wrinkle-full shirts persists. So any way to make the chore go by faster or easier helps.

When looking for an iron to buy, lots of people raved about Rowenta models. One person claimed that it made ironing a pleasure. This I had to see for myself. I chose the Rowenta Focus DZ5080 because it was on sale and the extra-pointy tip seemed to be a useful feature. For days I was actually excited to iron (this is related to my giddiness to start playing with any new toy but the iron is not bad either). We didn't yet have an ironing board (more on that later) so I actually brought my shiny new toy over to the out-laws'.The experience was not as mind-blowing as I thought for several reasons, the main one being that I was living in fear that I would electrocute myself -- the only available outlet at the time (without having to lug the ironing board upstairs) was one of those non-polarized ones that just couldn't hold on to the iron's plug and it hung loosely when standing still and jiggled out of place as I proceeded to iron. (Yikes, see, chores can be hazardous!) So when we finally got the heavy-duty ironing board from Target (I don't know what makes it heavy-duty -- do people need to iron weighty garments?) I was semi-psyched to iron again. Unfortunately that eagerness has died with each ironing task (definitely not a life-altering, nor pleasurable experience -- maybe I just need a maid? :P) though it does make ironing go by a little easier. (Watching TV while ironing helps too :P). My thoughts on the Rowenta Focus, in easy-to-read bullet form:
- The water compartment is pretty sizable (I can iron at least one shirt with one fill) and I like that it closes to prevent spillage.
- I like the handy thin little canister used to fill the water compartment for steam.
- I like the pointy tip (great for getting in between buttons or into corners).
- The stainless steel soleplate has been good so far (no scorch marks).
- I didn't really notice the advantage to having all those extra steam holes on the soleplate but the logic of it works for me (more holes=more steam).
- It is heavy (both a plus and minus). I notice the heaviness less as I use it more often but I think it also helps with getting rid of creases (I have used light irons before and they just suck, plain and simple).
- This no-drip thing really is a fallacy (water and holes -- it's gotta leak sometime), though this iron drips a lot less than other ones that I've used before.
- There are just 3 temperature settings and I never know which one to use for synthetics or blends.
- I'm not sure if there's much difference/use to the three lights that tell you whether the iron is too hot (red), not heated up enough (yellow), or just right (green) but it's cool to have.

Now my other issue -- I need to find a handy place to store both the ironing board and iron. This will require some closet re-arranging (way down on my to-do list).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lucky for Dear to have you iron all his shirts! That's a bum chore. Here's what you should do - Accidentally forget to iron his shirts for a week and let him enjoy the unpleasant task a few early mornings and he will bend to your pleas for the wrinkle-free variety.

just r said...

Ahaha, if it were only so easy -- he probably has enough shirts to last him at least a month! And I'm not sure 'lucky' is the right word, since I'm not the best ironer, no matter how spiffy the new iron is.