Tuesday, March 20, 2007

I miss Brooklyn

I was struck with Brooklyn-longing today after being reminded that it is the week to Dine In Brooklyn, Brooklyn's restaurant week. It shows that there are enough good restaurants in Brooklyn to garner enough publicity that they can do this for 4 years running. *sigh* When will there be this breadth of options in Queens? Or when will someone tell me about the secret dining options in Queens so that I can actually be able to go somewhere to eat a good meal besides having Chinese food in Flushing?

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I lived in Queens for 2 years, and my fiance and I used to eat in Forest Hills a lot. Not sure if you're into the finer dining, but I've got some casual favorites:

There's a pizza place that we absolutely love on Ascan between Austin St and Queens Blvd. There's another pizza place that I've seen ranked among the best pizza in NYC, Nick's Pizza on Ascan Ave, between Austin St and the train overpass.

Also, my absolute favorite find, a hole-in-the-wall Japanese take-out place on Austin St. You walk up Austin St with the train on your left, and the restaurant is down an alley just before you get to the police station at Yellowstone Blvd. There's usually a sign out in the front. It's my favorite because they have the freshest sushi and yummy hot Japanese food. And they also have spam musubi and katsu curry, favorites of mine from growing up in Hawaii.

just r said...

Ooooh, thanks Natalie! I've heard about Nick's Pizza too and I'm totally gonna look for that Japanese place! Thanks so much -- I'm so excited!!