Thursday, March 15, 2007

Two Asian-inspired dinners

This past week I cooked two full meals (perhaps my first in the apartment, if you don't count scrambled eggs or pouring a bowl of cereal for breakfast). First I made a coconut shrimp soup off the "Everyday Food" site. I left out the red pepper flakes because I can't take the heat and used whatever noodles I found in the pantry since we don't have angel hair pasta and I figured Asian noodles would fit in better with all the Asian flavors happening anyway. I also forgot to get cornstarch so it was a bit loose but I think it turned out fine.

I was hesitant about adding all the ginger and garlic (not that there is much) b/c when I cooked with those aromatics in the past those flavors would be so overwhelming to me. However, this time I microplaned the ginger (instead of mincing with a knife, which would result in chunks due to my lack of knife skills) and it melted into the soup without being overwhelming at all. In fact, it provided just enough ginger flavor that was offset by the sweet carrots and rich coconut milk.

The recipe is quite simple and with practice I think I can get it down to less than one hour before dinner is ready and served. Since it was a recipe for 4 servings, I didn't add in all the shrimp (plus I got real tired of peeling all of them!) and I put in just enough noodles for one meal. I figured that I could just add in fresh shrimp and noodles for a meal later in the week. Unfortunately, I foolishly put the rest of the shrimp in the freezer and it was too late to defrost in time for the next dinner. So I had to resort to my old stir fry.

I was turned off to stir fry because I was/am just so bored by it but this time I had no choice. However, with the powerburner that we have on the stove plus the professional Chinese wok that Dear picked up from a restaurant supply store, I think it came out OK. (I am half-kidding about the wok b/c I think it is the heat that makes all the difference) I microplaned the ginger again but slightly overcooked the pork. The Chinese broccoli came out just right though (that vegetable is really growing on me -- I love the crisp stems). Thankfully this was just a meal for me (gotta finish it before Dear returns from his business trip, lest I be embarassed!).

So for future reference, here's the recipe for the shrimp soup:

Coconut Shrimp Soup
Serving: Serves 4

Ingredients
* 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/4 to 1/2 Teaspoon red-pepper flakes
* 1 Pound (6 to 8 medium) carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
* 1 can (13.5 ounces) coconut milk
* 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
* 4 Ounces angel hair pasta
* 1 1/2 Pounds large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
* 1/4 Cup freshly squeezed lime juice
* Coarse salt
* 4 scallions, thinly sliced

Directions

1. Heat oil in a large (3-quart) saucepan over medium-low heat. Add ginger, garlic, and pepper flakes; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add carrots, coconut milk, and 3 cups water. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water until smooth; add to pot. Bring to a boil.
2. Break pasta in half; add to pot. Return to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until pasta is al dente and carrots are just tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add shrimp; stir until opaque, about 1 minute. Remove pot from heat, and stir in lime juice; season with salt. Ladle into serving bowls, and garnish with scallions.

No comments: